Skip to main content

Guiding our dreams

I’ve read an article in Independent by Adam Smith, which talked about studies done at Northwestern University in the USA. Thesis was about new discovery letting scientists break into people’s dreams and leaving hidden messages. The experiments were done during lucid dreaming with 36 participants across the US, France, Germany, and the Netherlands.

Personally, I found the article and mentioned scientific work fascinating. The idea of influencing our dreams seems futuristic to say at least. I agree with the author, these methods could be used to help people with sleep difficulties or nightmares. It will not only help fight insomnia problems but also other mental health issues. The method could be even healthier than melatonin pills, which could be very addictive after sometime. It was also funny to learn the way these questions manifested were different for different people. Some participants found questions coming through a radio, while others heard it like a narrator in a movie. Our brain is full of surprises.



article:https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/dreams-talk-lucid-messages-b1804671.html#comments-area


Comments

  1. We have to realise, though, that like most scientific findings this one can be used to help people but also to manipulate them. It all depends on who is using the discoveries.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Selfie Culture

I’ve read an article which talked about selfie culture and the meaning behind them. The main topic was focus on the choice of the camera angle. And how we sometimes, not even aware, use different poses in the way, that we non-verbally communicate with others. When we choose to take selfies from above, left side, frontally etc. All of the mention angles are providing social and emotional signals to viewers.  Selfies have been around since the rise of social media. I was familiar with the general concept of selfie but I wasn’t aware of psychological meaning behind them. It was interesting to learn about the popularity of showing our left side (apparently this side is more emotionally expressive) but also, I really enjoyed the truest statement of all: we look better in our selfies, than in photos other people take of us. In my own believe I see selfies as a way of self-expression, it really tells something about a person, especially on social media. article: https://theconversati...

Brands on Social Media

It’s not hard to notice that with the progress of social media, we’ve started using them in completely different ways, in comparison to the early beginnings. I would say at first, all platforms were for regular people. But nowadays every brand has an YT channel, an account on every social media and I don’t know in my opinion it’s unnecessary. I had so many eye roll moments when I scroll through Twitter and a Polish Netflix account tries so hard to be relatable.  I guess brands started to act like people and people started acting like brands. Influencers with brand deals which come with money are sometimes losing the humane part of their content. So, in that way companies are basing their content on relatability- cause some people like that. I mean I don’t care about what Netflix thinks about Pikachu, I want to know what movies are added next month. Examples:

Staying at home

During the weekend, I received a message about my class going on a one week “break” because of a covid case among my peers. It means remote school for 5 days and mostly spending time at home.  Nobody at my class expected this to happen, mainly because of the fact that we’re all vaccinated. Of course, I’m wishing all the best to a person who is sick. But honestly, no matter how bad it will sound, I was waiting to go on this break. Not even for a particular reason, but just to have a couple of days to gain more motivation. My initial reaction was a wave of relief. And in some unexplanatory way, I kind of missed having school at home. Especially when it’s so cold and gloomy outside. Also, the whole situation made me realise how I longed for online classes, even though they are not necessarily good for me as a student. What a bummer…